As we start our journey into the new year, it is the ideal time to begin new routines and revisit habits. Healthy skin is an issue that seems to be at the top of the "want" list for many of us. Aging skin, dehydration and appearing wrinkles are common issues that people struggle with. Good news - we have compiled helpful tips for achieving younger, and healthier looking skin.
You will find in this article, 3 chemicals to avoid, and an ingredient that is easy to find, inexpensive and will give you naturally glowing skin!
3 Chemicals to avoid -
Parabens, Phenoxyethanol, and other synthetic preservatives.
Avoid anything that ends with the word "paraben". These are preservatives that mimic the hormone estrogen and have been linked to health issues like cancer, immunotoxicity, neurotoxicity, and skin irritations. This preservative is commonly used to prevent the growth of bacteria and yeast in cosmetics and shampoos. Consumers have become aware of the dangers of Parabens. Phenoxyethanol, however, is also a common preservative used in many natural and organic products. Exposure to phenoxyethanol has been linked to reactions ranging from eczema to severe allergic reactions.
This broad term can include up to 300 chemicals that are synthetic and hormone disrupting. Products with these chemicals have been linked to cancer, allergies, respiratory and reproductive problems.
This silicone oil is popular in today’s personal care products. Used to fill uneven texture and fine lines, to "create" a smooth and flawless look. In hair care products, dimethicone is used to provide smoothness. Using this ingredient in face products can cause dry skin, increase acne and enhance fine lines and wrinkles.
Easy ways to protect your skin in 2017.
- Read your product labels. Ingredients should be easy to understand.
- Drink plenty of filtered water. Your skin is the largest organ and staying hydrated will help flush your system of toxins.
- No processed foods. Raw veggies and juices will help your complexion thrive and glow.
- Use Purequosa Cleansing Body Spray to naturally hydrate your face. PQ is free of these chemicals.
Healthy skin can be achieved by thinking creatively! Look around your kitchen, if it is good enough to eat, it is good enough to use on your skin. Cucumber is one of those skin solutions. Cucumber is made of 95% water and provides hydration to the skin.
Benefits of Cucumber -
- Offers internal and external cooling
- Skin toner [external]
- Cooling for wind/sunburns [external]
- Provides the skin with minerals – magnesium, potassium, vitamin K, vitamin B, and vitamin C [internally]
- Antioxidant [internal/external]
- Fights inflammation [internal/external]
- Contains Polyphenols and compounds that help reduce the risk of chronic disease [internally]
- Supports brain health [internally]
Cucumber hydrosol is a nourishing and healing ingredient that we use in our Rain Cleansing Body Spray. Our sprays can be used on the face for hydration and as a mood lifter. Start the new year with healthier ingredients and nourishing solutions for your skin!